On three separate occasions this week, three different people said to me that they don’t judge others and I had to come right out and call bullshit. They were actually taken aback and I had to reference several instances in which they had done just that, judged others.
So you think you don’t? Let’s see.
- Overweight person eating a donut.
- Woman wearing revealing clothes.
- Person sitting in the corner of a party.
- Person that is the life of the party.
- Co-worker that never joins the group for lunch.
- Person in the grocery store in their sweatpants.
- Person who picks up your garbage.
- Cab driver with the heavy accent.
- Man that had an affair.
- Woman with the black eye.
- Parent yelling at their kids.
- Seemingly able-bodied person who parks in the handicap spot.
- Person that is always funny.
- Jock or the cheerleader.
- The “unpopular” student.
- Christian or Atheist.
- Conservative or liberal.
- Person that posts happy pictures of themselves on FaceBook.
- Woman that never married.
- Man that never married.
Reading the above list, did you judge or make assumptions about the person mentioned?
I know I do it too but I try to catch myself. I remind myself that I can not possibly know what a person is truly like by evaluating how they dress, what church they belong to, who they vote for or how they act in a social situation.
First impressions are just that, “impressions”. And they can be very, very wrong.
Please remember that as you make your way in the world and flip through your social media feeds. Never judge or assume you know who that person is, feels like or what they have gone through in a split second.
You don’t like to be judged and put in a box, so don’t do it to others.
Want to be up to date with my latest blogging and Pinterest tips to grow your business?